Post Treatment Instructions
BODYSCULPTURE POST-TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
- You may resume normal light daily activities such as walking.
- You may resume light exercise 3 to 4 days after surgery and vigorous physical activities (jogging, tennis) 2 to 3 weeks after surgery as tolerated. Resume exercise gradually.
- Depending on the extent of your surgery, you will feel well enough to return to work within in 1 to 3 days post procedure.
- Do not lift heavy objects.
ELASTIC SUPPORT GARMENT:
- Elastic support garments are worn to promote drainage and prevent accumulation of fluid created by the removal of fat. You must wear these garments continuously (24 hours a day) except for showering for 14 days as instructed.
- After the first two weeks, it is suggested that a lighter elastic garment be worn 8-10 hours per day for one month. It offers support during movement and most patients prefer daytime use.
WOUND CARE AND DRAINAGE:
- A large amount of drainage from the small incisions is normal during the first 24 to 36 hours following bodysculpture. The slightly blood-tinged fluid is residual anesthetic solution. In general, the more drainage there is, the less bruising and swelling there will be. Most drainage occurs the first 48 hours. You may experience a small amount of drainage for up to one week.
- Have absorbent pads available to change dressings as they become saturated.
- Beginning the day after treatment, wash the incisions with hibiclens, pat dry, and apply micropore tape on each incision.
DISCOMFORT AND BRUISING
- The soreness is the worst about 24 hours after surgery and then improves almost daily.
- For relief of soreness and inflammation, take 2 extra-strength Tylenol every 4-6 hours while awake for the first 48 hours.
- If Tylenol is ineffective, you may take the prescription strength pain reliever provided.
- With the tumescent technique, most patients experience remarkably little bruising. Nevertheless, some patients have mild to moderate bruising, lasting 1-2 weeks.
- Swelling may actually increase 5-10 days after treatment and is treated with Tylenol.
- Take the full dose of oral antibiotics as prescribed.
- DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN OR IBUPROFEN, OR MEDCIATIONS THAT CONTAIN THESE DRUGS FOR 5 DAYS AFTER TREATMENT, AS THEY CAN PROMOTE BLEEDING.
- It is preferable to shower rather than bathe for 7 days after surgery. You may remove the dressings and shower 24 hours after treatment.
- CAUTION: When garments are removed the first few days after treatment, patients may feel dizzy. Avoid this by removing garments while lying down, then sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes, and stand up slowly. Lie back down after showering to redress.
- When showering, you may briefly get the incision sites wet. Afterwards, gently pat them dry.
- Do not immerse in a bath, Jacuzzi, swimming pool, or the ocean until the incisions have healed completely (about one week).
- After treatment, drink generous amount of pineapple juice or water to prevent dehydration.
- Light foods are recommended for the first meal after surgery (no alcohol or caffeine). You may resume your usual diet in about 4 hours. Avoid salty foods (to minimize swelling) and high fiber foods (that may cause gas).
- We will arrange for a follow-up appointment for 3-5 days after your procedure.
- Please make additional follow-up appointments for one week and one month after surgery.
- You are welcome to return to the office for follow-up visits at no charge if you have questions or concerns regarding you bodysculpture and wish to be seen.
- Remember that there will be some swelling for 6 weeks and up to 4 months.
- Please call the office immediately if you experience the following:
- Leg pain
- Shortness of breath